Why am I doing this?

Saturday, February 02, 2008

My little guy

So for those of you that don't know, Dillon has a lazy eye. That is why he wears glasses. We also dilate his good eye to try and get him to use his bad eye. We are supposed to patch the good eye, but you can imagine how that goes with a 2 1/2 year old! We took him to the doctor yesterday for a check up. The doctor pretty much told us if we wanted him to be able to see out of the "bad" eye, we better start making him patch it for 6 hours a day! He put the patch in his eye and Dillon immediately started crying - "I can't see, I can't see!" You see (no pun intended), his brain has trained the "good" eye to take over and be the dominate. So, he really cannot see too good out of the other eye. Needless to say, when he began to have this meltdown, I did too. I cried and cried. I looked like a lunatic in the reception area when we were checking out. The guy making our next appointment even asked me if I was OK. I kept thinking - for heaven sakes, it is an eye, not a heart!! I swear. If I could be anymore emotional!!! I also worry about other kids making fun of him. That is the worse when you are a parent!

Anyway, so far so good. We are on day 2 and he is not fighting too bad. He put it on this morning and has not asked to take it off. We are building it up. I have a feeling there will be a lot of M & M's for rewards!! Wish us luck! And if you see Dillon with his patch on, tell him how cool it is!!!

2 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger bonnie said...

I wish I could see him - I would totally make us all wear one and then play pirates - we could build a fort and everything. :D

 
At 9:16 AM, Blogger Suspended Animation said...

Alicia:
I just checked your blog for the first time in a while. I understand that this is a lot of hard work right now. Dillon probably is doing great with it by now, almost a week after your post, but hang in there and please continue his therapy. I have a very good friend who just couldn't make her child wear the patch when he was little. (He and Julie are the same age.) The now he is 18 years old and has vision in one eye. This is preventable and you can do it. Sometimes parenting is very hard and sometimes it is just hard. :) But you won't be sorry! Hang in there.
Karen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home