Why am I doing this?

Saturday, February 28, 2009

4-day school week

I found this article today and this is the first I have heard of this!! I understand what they are thinking regarding saving the school districts money, but I want to know what parents will do when they have to either take off a day of work (therefore cutting their hours and income) or having to pay an extra full day of childcare each week (again, cutting their income). (And I am in no way equating school with childcare, but once a child enters school, parents usually do not have to rely on day care.) I think people are missing that point. Tax payers money fund schools anyway, so some of the taxpayers would get hit twice. I assume the schools would institute a "adventure club" kind of programs for Fridays or Mondays - whatever day they choose not to be in session, but if you live in Columbia, you know how expensive that is for parents.

I am not sure they have thought this through completely, but the is the norm for state government!!

3 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Leslie said...

Perhaps everyone should go to a four day work week! ;) I think perhaps we'd be in a much better place if people worked less and lived more!

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Alicia said...

I agree 100%!!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger bonnie said...

I agree with the four day work week, but I don't think you'll see this implemented anywhere - unless it's like rural MO, where the kids farm and stuff. Urban kids couldn't handle a 3 day break - don't handle a 3 day break - well, or retain much information after 3 days out. It would be better for them to endorse a all year round school schedule than the 4 day. The only reason they endorsed it, is that it would save a TON of money in the school districts. I really don't see anyone going to that schedule though - especially in an urban or more populated area.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home