Why am I doing this?

Thursday, June 14, 2007

What is missing from the world?

So for the past two days while driving to work, I have seen a dad standing outside with his daughter in the driveway. I assume she is waiting for the bus (she has on a backpack). They are just standing out there talking. I think this is wonder!

Then it got me thinking...what if all parents would do this? This is not a lot to ask. I am not preaching - I send my son to daycare, but you bet your bottom, when he is with me I try and give him my full attention. I am very tired of this society saying kids are expendable. Our children should not be ignored or thrown away.

When I was a kid, I lived in a small town. My dad worked about 8 blocks from our house. He came home for lunch everyday. My mom and I would walk 2 blocks to meet him - sometimes she would let me go meet him by myself. I did not think much of it then (even though I got excited everyday to see my dad) but now I realize it is those small things that make the best memories!

Enough sap for you for one day? Seriously, tell someone your care for something nice today.

2 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Blogger bonnie said...

All the blogs I read on a daily basis are a bit emotional today. There must be something going on (moon, stars, barometric pressure..) I'm glad you see the dad with the daughter every morning. I forget what that is like sometimes, but then hang out with good friends and see what good parents they are (so I remember). The world today is also another reason I won't enter the world of parenthood without a husband, it just wouldn't be fair to the kid or to me.
Hope you are having a good week!

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

That is such a good decision! I couldn't imagine doing it alone. I know some people can, but I could not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home