Why am I doing this?

Monday, November 03, 2008

My two cents:

So I never thought I would be an advocate for breastfeeding. I breastfed Dillon for about 7 weeks - he was a terrible eater. This time around, it is better. Brodie is a good eater. I started out thinking I would just nurse while I was on maternity leave, but he is so easy to feed I decided to keep it up. Then I thought I would do it 3 or 4 months and I kept going. I am almost at 5 months - it is still hard at times, but everything worth it is hard. Plus, I am not sure we could afford to buy formula with the prices going up so much. I am shooting for 6 months and then I will re-evaluate the situation. I will most likely have to go to Washington DC in February for work and I am not sure how I would continue being gone for 4 days. So I might need to ween the end of January. Anyway, back to my first thought...I truly believe it is something that every mother should try. At least for a few days or a few weeks. Is it hard - yes! Is is worth it - VERY MUCH! I have a few friends that did it exclusively and I rely on them for support. Why do you ask - you'd think people would support you in this. Nope and that is one of the hardest things. I nursed Brodie at a Thomas event we took Dillon to in STL. I went to the diaper changing/nursing tent. People still looked at me like I had a third eye.

Do I want a medal, no thanks. Just wanted to voice my views on this topic. Am I Super Women? Yes, but most mothers are!

2 Comments:

At 7:46 AM, Blogger joe jack talcum said...

It is so wonderful that you've stuck with it!!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Alicia said...

Thanks! I appreciate you saying that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home