Why am I doing this?

Friday, July 06, 2007

Once upon a time:

I know some of you are going to find this hard to believe, but there was a time about 3 or 4 years ago that I was in great shape (in one year, I knocked a half hour off my half marathon time). I ran A Lot and honestly was in the best shape of my life. This is was a great accomplishment speaking that about 3 years before that I was fat and out of shape. Anyway, there is a point to this. A series of events led up to the undoing of my fitness. I was diagnosed with what they thought was rheumatoid arthritis. I got pregnant and obviously, had a baby. Got a second opinion on the RA diagnosis, was told I had the RA indicator, but did not currently have RA. Great news! Somewhere in all that, I lost so much fitness and just cannot get it back. Maybe it is not a total priority in my life right now - I mean I do have a family and a full time job. I hate thinking about it though. I am not complaining about my life, but I want to be that person again and have that fitness. I try to think that this series of events happened for a reason and I am so delighted to have Dillon (even when he screams cause he doesn't get his way).

Any thoughts?

3 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Prozenberger said...

You still have more fitness then most people I know. If you want it back, you will get it. Just be patient.

Remember, I am proud of you and love you!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Suspended Animation said...

What Jason said. I love you and I'm proud of you --even if I won't eat lunch with you! :)
Alicia everyone gets frustrated with their level of fitness, (Okay some people may not but athletes like yourself certainly do.) Remember slow and steady wins the race. I would recommend you set aside a time that is your time -- whether to do yoga, pilates, walk or run. Jason certainly will support you in this and let you have a half hour/hour to yourself in the morning or evening 3 times a week. Once you get back into the routine you will feel better about yourself and notice small improvements which will cause large improvements in your mental health. (Not that you are crazy but you are crazy hard on yourself! People are the only living beings that harbor all the negative things they've done and rehash them constantly. Forget about where you used to be and focus on where you are now and what your goals are for the next week, month and year -- then do what you need to do to achieve them.) It is amazing what you can do once you put your mind to it -- you are industrious, smart and a tad funny. How can you lose?
Okay I'm done being nice for the week - I see why I don't do it more often it's exhausting.
Give me a call!
Karen

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Alicia said...

And that is why I keep you in the friend loop - obviously not for lunch dates!!! I keep you there for the words of wisdom - someone who is an awesome runner after two children!

Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home